Sunday, April 13, 2008

Notes from the First Hot Day in Bozeman

At work again and avoiding the usual important things I should be doing to close out the semester's end. Just figured I'd post some thoughts concerning the final academic paper of my undergraduate life. We must be getting close to the end, what 20 days left or so? Anyhow, the final paper is dealing with the duality of the America Literary Canon. I'm working with trauma theory and looking specifically at the master-slave dichotomony in the American experience. After looking at a book like Bloom's Western Canon and coming from a place like metro-Detroit you have to start realizing that there is fundamentally something amiss in conservative academic programs. Programs like the one here at Montana State University. Realistically, I've only studied about three writings by African Americans here: Ellison, Morrisson, and Kaufman. This is incredibly problematic at best. I've come to wonder if this is the norm across the educational board in this country. Thus the paper topic. 20 days to read and talk about all those voices left out in the canon. I'll keep the word informed as to my writings.

On the upside of things, I just found this great concert posted on CBC radio two's website. I encourage everyone to check out the show. It's free and if you like Afro-Soul, jazz, or R&B you should enjoy it. Her name is Melissa Laveaux and she now lives in gay ole' Paris:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/concerts/20080229melis

No comments: