Thursday, January 3, 2008

Writing and Over Writing: The Hemmingway Hangover

Ok, so my bias should be be quite obviously stated here. That much of the "writing" world in America has been far too influenced by the prose style of Hemmingway. It almost seems to be a shield that many people hold up in lieu of having any semblence of real talent. I speak more out of conversations with a English department that on the overall. lacks any talent or insight into teaching the craft of writing. There are a small number of very gifted writers in the faculty of the department but their voices and influence seem muted in face of the prevailing guard in power. Small rant, sorry.
In terms of Hemmingway the man was brilliant in pushing meaning into compact sentences. Yes, it is a difficult style to replicate. But it is simply a style. And style is a personal matter. Writing at its heart in an individual's voice, and as such we must consider multiple ways of expression. Hemmingway's style was brilliant, but we must not lean exclusively on it. As a writer, I often look towards Hemmingway's craft for inspiration. But inspiration and style are two different things. As much as my style is from his or anyone elses.
So the question still stands: Do I overwrite? I've heard it once or twice in regards to some of my prose writing. But I've learned my style from listening to the richly textured structures of jazz. I'm very sure that I'm not the only writer to hear "You should dumb down what you're doing, write more like Hemmingway." Statements such as this always worry because it illustrates fundamental flaws in writing and understanding. Writing like Hemmingway is not dumbing one's work done, nor is it better one's style. Writing under such premises creates a mimic rather a true voice in the discourse of literature. Is that what we as a society and teachers should be pushing for?
So, returning again to the question of do I overwrite. I'm still not sure. This is more of a rambling dialogue about the process of writing and the occasional stiflling effect of close minded instruction.

No comments: