Saturday, January 17, 2009

Thievery Corporation and the War of the Dictionaries

So I'm sitting around reading on this lovely Saturday night, as most graduate English/Creative Writing students are undoubtedly are, and I'm reading all about the War of the Dictionaries, when I realize that I may have gone right off the deep end. I've started to feel the strangest urge to go off and read Dictionaries by famous editors and see if I can start find their style. There is something that goes seriously sideways in your head when you start longing to read alphabetically arraigned definitions of words to try and get at the heart of a man. Dictionaries are an interesting endeavour to consider, but I'm starting to think that is might be too much reading and focus on the subject for my own sanity. Should I really consider reading all of the Webster 1828 Dictionary, just see if I could seen some new aspect of his personality, his soul, in the definition of "estuary?"

I've been listening to a lot of Thievery Corporation recently. It also happens to be that I also happened up the movie Garden State recently as well. The majority of which is good and often just straddles the line of really cool and almost there. We won't talk about the ending. Regardless, this tune appears rather prominately in the film. Something to watch/listen to and consider Worcester's emotional status around the SC portion of the definitions in Comprehensive and Explanatory Dictionary.

Thievery Corporation - Lebanese Blonde (yeah, yeah, the French version is better)

No comments: