Monday, December 15, 2008

Time for Sake: Chapbook Finished

It took a little over a week to edit and assemble, but I've managed to finish and put together my first chapbook of poetry. "The Warmth of Asphalt," is obviously a self-published affair and will be given out (as many self-published poetry chapbooks often are) to friends and selected family members for the holidays. All in all it's about 16 pages long and more or less is comprised of poems conceived or reworked in this first semester of my MFA. The Campbell McGrath masterclass/workshop really comes out in them as I often found myself using his theory regarding lyric consciousness. The pieces range from Windsor/Detroit to Montana and even Bloomington and Florida. It might be small in stature, but its a major mental step just seeing your work in book(let) form and wholely readible by the mass public. Well, perhaps not mass right, but public nonetheless. I'm tempted to submit it around, just to see what if, but the sake needs to come out a little bit now. The first (and possibly only run) will be about 10-12 chapbooks.

I plan to use these a final project samples for the 200-level flash fiction course I'll be teaching in a little over a year. Chapbooks are little more rewarding than simple "portfolio"s. It's all about creating agency, right? Well chapbook equals agency. Next up, fiction. More aptly the completion of this novella enterprise.

No comments: