Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Postmodernist Fiction and Poetics: A Trip to BGSU

I've been busy preparing for a session I'll be leading at the upcoming Winter Wheat Festival at BGSU in just a few weeks' time. Heading up north to that fantastic orange and brown campus on the fringes of metro Detroit to give my first ever conference session on creative writing. I'll be working with the idea of hybridity and post-modernism in the composition of fiction that straddles the lies critics give it. It is important to think about fiction in new ways and see form and its various consituents as vital aspects to message and communication in the craft of writing. I haven't heard about the exact session time as of yet (the schedule has yet to be updated), but this nonetheless very exciting in terms of experience. I've really enjoyed teaching craft to my students in W103 and see Winter Wheat as a nice extension of these experiences so far. I'll post my notes from the session at a later date, just in case there is any interest out there about the subject matter.

Here's a link to conference webpage. It's definitely worth checking out if you're in the region:
http://www.bgsu.edu/studentlife/organizations/midamericanreview/index2.html

Additionally, my buddy and fellow MFAer Mike Dauro will be leading a session on poetry. I've heard his lectures at IU. It should be a good-one.

No comments: